August 13, 2004

What Is Going On?!

Okay, it's almost five in the morning on Friday and my brain is about to short out. I just wanted to let you all know what's going on.

Back in April, my company decided to shut down my department and re-create it in St. Petersburg, Florida. I was the only person from the department invited to come along for the ride. It didn't involve a promotion, but this is a company that I wanted to stay with for years. They offered a certain amount of money for moving expenses. Part of the acceptance of those expenses is the company policy that I would remain with the company for 12 months or repay the moving expenses. They flew me down to scout out places to live and had me sit in on a week of training for new account executives. I told them that I was willing to move, and that I would be able to do so quickly. The only thing that I asked for was reciprocity. If I was going to commit to moving to Florida, I asked that the company offer me employment for 12 months. It's the mirror image of what they had required.

The following four months have been interesting. I got very close to selling my house a couple of times. I found that a new lady was put in charge of re-creating the department. We had drinks together and got along well. She asked for input on how I thought that the department should be structured in the future. I sent her recommendations for how it should be staffed, how compensation should be figured, who should report to whom, etc. I had spent months thinking about this before she asked for the input.

A couple of weeks ago, she asked when I was going to move. I let her know that I was still waiting for an offer letter from Certegy.

This past Friday, I got a return e-mail from her. They have hired a new manager for the department. Nevermind the fact that I was the de facto manager for several months before this came along. New manager is starting on August 23rd. Her e-mail basically relayed three essential facts. One was that the company does not issue offer letters until/unless the recipient has already submitted a specific timeframe for the move. Two was that the original offer of moving expenses was apparently a WAG, and that the actual figure is lower than what I had been quoted. Three is that it is apparently against company policy to offer an employment contract. That is to say, they will not commit to offering me employment for 12 months if I move to Florida.

The past week has been hell. Do I take a chance and move, knowing that I can be cut loose if the new manager and I don't hit it off? The company is asking for commitment from me, without offering any in return. They're offering to give me the same job that I have right now for an undetermined amount of time if I move, but will not offer any other kind of incitement.

Last week, I had asked for this Friday, Monday and Tuesday off to go and visit Stacey. The e-mail that I got from Cindy laid out the state of the union, and also required that they receive my reply and answer before I leave for vacation. From Friday afternoon to Thursday afternoon, that's a total of four business days.

I sent in my reply on Thursday afternoon. I won't sell my house and move to Florida if the company won't offer employment for a year. Employment contracts are pretty standard in the business world, but my company doesn't go for them. As St. Pete was evacuated today due to the hurricane that's about to hit them, I didn't really expect an answer to my e-mail immediately.

Upon my return on Wednesday, I guess that I'll have some kind of answer that tells me when I'll lose me job. Frankly, I will be grateful for the resolution to this thing that has been hanging over my head for the last four months. I recently interviewed with a company that wants me, and the earning potential is double to triple what I'm making now. Strangely, I'm not upset. I don't like the way that this whole thing has been handled, but I'm glad that it's about over.

I'm going to start a new job soon. The base pay is low, but the commissions can be incredible. I'll miss my co-workers, but being in the same town means that I'll be able to continue to see them. I'm stressed, but that is almost completely negated by the fact that I'm about to spend the next several days with Stacey, the kids and her folks. That whole situation is another cause for deep thought, but I'll rest easy for the time being thinking only of how restful the whole thing should be.

Thanks for thinking of me and praying for me in the last few months, you guys. I appreciate all of you and all that you mean to me. The last few months would have been debilitating, had it not been for having you around to lean on. I'll keep you posted as things develop. Life is going to be better from now on. Habai ita swe!

Uncle Caveman

1 Comments:

At August 13, 2004 at 7:00 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Holy Java Junkies, Batman! 4:45 AM? That's even late for YOU. Well, I'm glad that you have another job lined up, and I'm sorry that Certegy decided to screw you over. That management job was yours, and it's their loss.

The new lady asking your input on how the department should be structured was a dead giveaway: They would have pulled all the useful info out of you and left you holding the bag. It's good that you stood your ground.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home